Sunday, December 30, 2012

2012 - the Highs and Lows

As 2012 comes to an end it's time to reflect on what seemed like a very short year.  I can't believe we are almost to 2013.  Let's take a look at how it sorted out.

The Retirement of Baby April
It was a bittersweet year with the horses.  Things did not end well for Baby April who is in rehab (in her stall until February with the companionship of Little Linus).  At least we know what her prognosis is and maybe she'll be the world's best mom in lieu of a being a really talented show horse.  She'll be the best at whatever life has in store for this incredibly sweet large mare.



The Retirement of Super Sega
Sega's illustrious horse show career ended in 2012 which was not a surprise but it was still hard to swallow.  When I ride her now I often think of all that we accomplished and what a steady eddy, always there horse she was (and how rare that is).  We may attend a few shows in 2013 (under saddle classes) as I think she would enjoy it but her competitive career came to an end after 12 years, which is a feat unto itself.  She is loving her retirement and rules the barn!

(David Bell Photo)


The Loss of Laura
It's always hard to lose someone but when someone leaves this world before her time it makes it that much more difficult.  Losing Laura was like that.  She was one of the best people I have ever known and I think about her often.  She always had a smile on her face, was laughing most of the time despite her illness.  She lived life the right way and is an inspiration to me.


Our Ski Trip to Canada
In February we traveled to Alberta to a spot we had not visited in 10 years.  The trip was so much fun that we are doing it again in 2013.  It was memorable and I can't wait to go back!


The Derecho
Late June brought us the derecho, the most unbelievable windstorm that I have lived through.  Ninety minutes of 50-100 MPH winds (and no rain) and lots of damage to my area including no power and water for a week.  We remedied that with our new generator but it was a wake-up call that our weather patterns are indeed changing and our planet is screaming at us for help! 

Our communal spring sustained us and much our friends that week.



Truman
Tru had a good 2012, unlike 2011 in which he had a serious illness.  He seems to be healthy, is happy and brings me so much joy and happiness every day.  For him I am thankful.

Raleigh Revisited
I made two trips to Raleigh, NC and caught up with two very old friends, Bonnie and Julie. I have known Bonnie all of my life and Julie and I were great pals in high school.  It was so much fun to see them both and I hope to go back a few times in 2013. This is Julie on the right.
Annual Trip to the US Open
Another highlight was my annual trip to NYC with my great friend Jess to see the US Open.  After being rained out in 2011 we managed to see the best tennis we've seen yet - Serena Williams, Sharapova, Federer, Berdych and others.  It was a great two days!

I feel very fortunate to have my health, my friends, my farm, my animals, my hubby, and my family.  Things don't always go as planned but when the lemons come you just go and make lemonade.  Hoping that your highs were up there in 2012 but your lows were not "low riders."  Enjoy these last few days of 2012!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...