Monday, December 30, 2013

Best Books of 2013

There's nothing better than curling up with a great book on a cold winter day.  Since we have lot's of winter left, I'll give you some of my suggestions for a good read if you'll do the same.


(Pinterest photo)
 
I'm currently reading Donna Tarrt's The Goldfinch.  Extraordinary book like her others.  At 600+ pages it's a good winter read and it makes me look forward to jumping into bed at 9 pm. 

I read these earlier in the year:

Helen of Pasadena by Lian Dolan
A very good, funny, witty book. Lian's newest book, Elizabeth, The First Wife is equally good.

The Good Earth - Pearl S Buck
A classic that everyone should read.

Ashenden - Somerset Maugham
My favorite writer, one of the few books of his I had not read.  Supposedly, Ian Fleming based his James Bond series on this character. 

The Big Short - Michael Lewis
One of my favorite contemporary writers.  I read this one a second time.  Great tales from the 2008
financial meltdown.

So what are you reading and what would you recommend for 2014?  There's never enough time to read all those great books out there!

3 comments:

  1. For interesting light fantasy try Connie Willis' Lincoln's Dream. You'll know why I recommend it when you read the surprise ending.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful! Will add that to my list! Thank you!

      Delete
  2. Right now I am re-reading The Chronicles of the $700 Pony, you would LOVE it. Hilarious horsey adventures.
    The woman who wrote it, Ellen Broadhurst posts on Chronicle of the Horse Forums and that is where the Chronicles began.
    The other book of note I read this year was Modoc supposed to be but not a true story... but still quite a read.
    Ang- SoLongFarm.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...